Open houses are a superb opportunity to make your home available for easy viewing by prospective buyers, buyers’ agents and neighbors who might know buyers—and to present it in its best possible light. There is a skill to the preparation and marketing of open houses and an art of engagement with the people who come in your front door. This first impression is vitally important to the achievement of the best price and terms of sale and it is not an opportunity to be wasted by sitting in a corner and playing with one’s smartphone.
The open house is typically the first time a prospective buyer sees your home.
Things to do:
1. Radius-mailing invitation to neighbors for 1st open house
2. Email announcement to selected top agents most likely to be working with buyers for your home (for 1st open house)
3. Alert Paragon agents, my client list and sphere of influence
4. Post date and time to MLS and Paragon.com, which feed the information to hundreds of other real estate websites
5. Update the dedicated property-showcase website of your home
6. Post date, time, description, photos and link to website to Craigslist
7. Advertise in newspaper open house listings, as appropriate
8. Order color property statements and brochures
9. Order financing-options outlines from mortgage broker
10. Pull updates on competitive listings and comparable sold homes
11. Prepare and make copies of the comprehensive property-disclosure package
12. Create package of informational materials for home buyers
13. Purchase light snacks, beverages, fresh flowers, as appropriate
14. Post directional A-frames around neighborhood to direct traffic to the house; leave driveway open for visitor parking
15. Turn on lights, open drapes, turn on music, ensure valuables are out of view and the home is ready to been shown in its best possible light
16. Greet and welcome visitors at the door, get their names and qualify them as much as possible, and provide information on the home and neighborhood
17. Circulate to maintain security and answer questions
18. Ensure house is securely locked upon leaving
19. Follow-up calls to buyers, and agents of buyers who expressed interest; solicit feedback from agents
20. Call you with an update regarding market response
It’s vital we market it comprehensively and present it impeccably.